Squeak on the PlayStation 3

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jan 19 22:41:31 UTC 2007

On 19-Jan-07, at 12:20 PM, Aaron Reichow wrote:

> is there any way the second core in the CPU is getting used?  I
> mean, obviously it isn't be used by Squeak through native threads,
> but would various prims being called be managed by different cores
> in the CPU, as delegated by Mac OS X? Just curious...

I suspect what is happening is that when running something intensive
like a benchmark Squeak is getting basically uninterrupted attention
from one cpu and all the other work is going to the other core. What
this indicates is that about 30% of all the time on a single core
machine is being wasted on trivia like running the OS and all the
rest of the stuff that sits there sucking up cycles.

Now we have a basis for supporting Dan Ingall's old comment about OSs
and how there shouldn't be one :-)

tim
Useful random insult:- Trying out for the javelin retrieval team.