Should every kernel class x provide support for (x new) printString and (x new) hash

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 21 15:23:09 UTC 2007

> Funny, (Object new) doesn't have such problems. So, would you say that
> about "Object new", too. I doubt, because almost every Smalltalk pro does
> so ;-)

Object has no abstract methods, but it is still an abstract class, and
I never make instances of it.  i consider it a hack to do so, an
amusing hack, but a hack nevertheless.  I have been teaching that to
my students for twenty years, and I do not believe that almost every
Smalltalk pro makes instances of Object.

Smalltalk does not have static type-checking.  The compiler does not
stop you from doing stupid things.

An abstract class is a class that you do not instantiate, but use only
as a superclass.  Sometimes it is hard to tell whether a class is
abstract, but Collection says it in its comment, and it has a
#subclassResponsibility method.

-Ralph Johnson