Form A PR Committee

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Tue Jan 23 16:55:13 UTC 2007

Brad Fuller wrote:
> bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> Giuseppe Luigi Punzi writes:
>>  > Some months ago, I propose something like this to the Lazarus/FreePascal
>>  > community, but only I started.
>>  >
>>  > You can read about this here: http://lordzealon.com/blog/?p=42#more-42
>>  >
>>  > The last link (the wiki) was changed and is this:
>>  > http://promoting-fpc.lordzealon.com/
>>
>> We already have a news and a web team. I'm sure both of them are
>> interested in improving Squeak's PR. A simpler option might be for PR
>> people to join both find out what these teams are doing and help out.
>
> I believe that is the opposite of what should happen. A PR team should
> create a consistent message to promote squeak. The web team and news
> team are the vehicles on which to carry the message.

The (hopefully-to-be-formed) PR Team could target the Smalltalk
Solutions Conf. (STC) (http://www.lwnwexpo.plumcom.ca/smalltalk.cfm)
coming up in April. For example:

* A press release about squeak including any newly released squeak
application or update could be made available around the time of the
conference. (the PR team would need to develop relationships with those
who could publicize the press release. But, this is easy.)

* The team could work with speakers that are using squeak as their
dev-platform. If they are announcing their talk, maybe the team could
develop a message that would be included in all announcements and PR for
seminars. Maybe they could say a little blurb (a consistent message)
about how great squeak is at their talk.

* the squeak website could announce these STC talks and highlight the
speakers and provide links to the applications on squeak.org.

* Maybe there could be a link back to squeak.org from the STC website.

* The team could determine if it is beneficial to be a sponsor. It'd be
nice to see the squeak mouse next to the other sponsor's logos. (if it's
beneficial in the long run.)

* Perhaps the squeak-related papers from the STC could be linked from
squeak.org -- making squeak.org a valuable resource.

* I'm sure you can think of many more ideas for this proposed campaign.

The point is to make the best of this opportunity to promote squeak.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com