2007-01-17 SqF board notes

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Jan 25 00:47:54 UTC 2007

Hi all--

     The Squeak Foundation board meets online for one hour on the first
and third Wednesday of each month. Thanks again to those of you who have
submitted agenda item suggestions[1]. Please keep them coming!

     At the 2007-01-17 meeting, Bert, Craig, Marcus, Tim, and Yoshiki
attended; Cees was absent. The meeting had seven agenda items.

1.   Review previous action items.

          There was one action item from the previous meeting.

     1.1. Craig will continue the incorporation process.

          The first big decision we need to make is our state of
     incorporation in the United States. Under US IRS requirements we
     need to have a legal physical presence in that state. Practically,
     this means we can either use a state in which one of us live, or
     pay a third party to maintain that presence for us (typically
     Delaware). I'm the only one on the current board who even lives in
     the US, and I live in California. Given the expense and possible
     complication of hiring a third party, the likelihood of future
     Squeak Foundation board members from California, and the fact that
     Viewpoints Research Institute is there as well, we decided to
     incorporate in California.

          Stay tuned.

2.   Discuss pricing of Squeak badges and other fundraising details.

     Tim awaits an official fresh quote from the badge manufacturer. In
the meantime, he will set up a group of people from the community to
help with order fulfillment (storage, payment, and shipping). We decided
that using a third party for that was financially prohibitive given the
cost of goods. We currently anticipate a cost of USD 1.80 per badge,
offered with USD 5 "general" donations (for a silver badge) and USD 50
"gold" donations (for a gold badge).

     Marcus will retire the old donations web presence, along with the
rest of the old Squeak Foundation site, and create a new one.

     We don't anticipate that fundraising activity will reach full speed
until we've incorporated and gained tax-exempt status.

3.   Cees will report on the state of the Squeak wiki (apparently,
     at least as of 2007-01-11, it has been successfully moved from
     Georgia Tech to wiki.squeak.org).

     Cees wasn't present, but it does seem that the move was successful.

4.   Consider Chris Cunnington's proposal for a public relations
     team.

     The board was unanimous: go for it, Chris!

5.   Start the next election process.

     Yoshiki, as board liaison to the Elections team, will ask Daniel to
get things going.

6.   List the current action items.

     6.1. Craig will continue the incorporation process.

     6.2. Tim will report the official badges quote and create a badges
          fulfillment team.

     6.3. Marcus will retire the old Squeak Foundation site, and create
          a new one (or at least an up-to-date way to donate to the
          Foundation).

7.   List the next meeting's agenda items.

     7.1. Review previous action items.

     7.2. Craig will report on code contributor response to VPRI's
          relicensing message. (Notices have been sent to all known
          contributors[2]. If you've received a notice, please respond
          as per its instructions, if you haven't already. If we missed
          you, please let me know.)

     thanks again,

-C

[1] http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/64.html