Melia - different kind of GUI

Howard Stearns hstearns at wisc.edu
Fri Jan 26 03:39:03 UTC 2007

The answer is: a costume is considered it's own thing precisely when
the user says so.

That sounds like a platitude, but I intend every word of it.

For example, in Brie (but you could imagine similar stuff in Melia or
any of it's references):

* Croquet users observe objects through interactors/filters (3D
viewing windows), which can be shared or private.  Objects have a
view for each interactor that is only visible when seen through that
interactor.  Of course, interactors stack, and one interactor's view
is another's object.

*The default interactor behavior is to map left mouse click to #use.
The default #use behavior of a view is to #select the object that it
is a view of.  However, buttons typically do something else on #use.
The selection state is held by the interactor.

* The default interactor behavior is to map right mouse click to
#author. An #author gesture is typically handled by a #authorSelect
of the view object, which suppresses any temptation for the view to
act out.

Thus "left click for normal use, right click to get inside of stuff
for authoring.  Fences -- but very low fences.

http://opencroquet.org/Site%20PDFs/2006%20BrieUserExperience.pdf
(From last year's C5. Section 6 is most apropos of para-selection,
but of course I hope for folks to read all in order.)

-Howard