improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 26 13:10:50 UTC 2007

One of my goals for 3.10 is to improve the quality of the image.  Our
first release (coming soon!) will have only green tests, and each
following release will have only green tests.  But there are many
other things that could be checked automatically.  For example, there
should be no unimplemented methods in the released image.
Unfortunately, there are a lot right now, so we can't make that rule.
But I would like to have all these fixed by the end of the 3.10 cycle
and to be able to enforce the rule that no release has any
unimplemented methods.

Jerome Peace has been working on getting rid of unimplemented methods
and has a lot of fixes.  You can find them at
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4544   This is the original Mantis
issue that he has been working on.  Most of the fixes are in "child"
issues, but you can find them from that page.

You can help by checking Jerome's fixes.  If you are familiar with the
code he is changing, read it and see whether you can spot anything
wrong.  If you can, post a note.  If you can't, please post a note
that, as far as you can tell, it looks good.  If you aren't that
familiar with the code, but are working on an application that uses
it, please file in the changes and try out your application.  Again,
report on the results!

If two or three people try out some changes and everybody thinks they
are OK, the release team will mark the issue as "resolved" and put it
in the next release.

We will make sure the code doesn't break any tests.  But if you don't
try out the code then we'll have to try it, as well, and that will
take a lot more time.  So, you can help us get more work done by
checking out these fixes.

Thanks!

-Ralph Johnson