Squeak on the ... Xbox 360?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jan 28 17:43:04 UTC 2007

On 28-Jan-07, at 4:00 AM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> 2007/1/28, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> Philippe Marschall wrote:
>> > PS3 is about half the speed of a 1 GHz PIII for Squeak. I think
>> it is
>> > reasonable to expect the Xbox 360 being in the same range for
>> Squeak.
>>
>> Where does this number come from? Given that PS3 utilizes a POWER-
>> Core
>> at 3.2 GHz it sounds somewhat unreasonable.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-January/
> 112829.html

Clearly there is something odd going on with the combination of
compiler/vm/cpu on Jerry's PS3 since a 2GHz G5 mac gets 157441574
bytecodes/sec; 6467114 sends/sec. Since the bytecodes figure scales
amazingly closely to clock speed I'd expect more like 230mBc/s and
perhaps 8m sends/s since that depends a bit more on cache and memory
arcitecture. Assuming of course that the claims I've read of the Cell
having a 3.2GHz POWER core are correct.

The xb360 also has 3.2GHz ppcs so I'd anticipate similar performance.
With 3 cores it might even be possible to run 3 copies and get decent
performance if one is lucky enough to catch the process scheduler in
a good mood and able to run the main threads at one per cpu. No idea
if the xb can even do that.

tim
Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.