Squeak on the ... Xbox 360?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jan 29 01:13:30 UTC 2007

Don't forget Apple did evaluate the Cell for "general purpose
computations" when they were evaluatiing going forward with PowerPC,
versus Intel or AMD.

And decided it wasn't general purpose enough, ie performance wasn't
what you would expect, mmm wonder where the reference to that study
is...

  I'll note the core 2 duos crank out some impressive numbers, likely
all parts of the VM needed to do the tiny benchmarking get sucked
into  the primary cache.

On Jan 28, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2007, at 18:43 , tim Rowledge wrote:
>>> Assuming of course that the claims I've read of the Cell having a
>>> 3.2GHz POWER core are correct.
>> Well, *I* read that it's not even remotely comparable to either a
>> POWER or a PowerPC core, it just happens to use the same
>> instruction set. It's stripped to the bare minimum, for example,
>> it does not do out-of-order execution.
>
> IF true, this would suck. Do we know if the xbox has the same
> limitations?
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

===