improving the quality of the image

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 29 16:37:22 UTC 2007

> Did you delete the tests AND the code that it tests? Just removing the
> tests doesn't really help much if the code that it tests is still there.
> I'm sure you agree with this, so that is why I'm a bit stumped.

You completely miss the point.  Leaving broken tests in the image does
not cause the tests to be fixed.  Broken tests have been in the image
for years and they did not help.

There are a lot of bugs in Squeak.  Squeak is, in general, of
"experimental" quality.  It is amazing to me that people actually
develop commercial products with it, but they do.  I would like to
raise the quality of Squeak.  Part of this is making sure that there
is a regression test suite that actually works, and preventing people
from breaking it.  There are lots of other parts, of course.  The
image should be smaller, it should have more tests, more bugs should
be fixed, there should not be any unimplemented messages.  No one
thing will improve quality, but a lot of little things will.

In general, it is not easy to find the code that a test exercises.
What you are asking does not  make sense.

Please run the tests in 3.9, look at the ones that are broken, and try
to figure out what code is bad and should be deleted.  It will be an
enlightening experience.

-Ralph Johnson