The land of the Mice, a bedtime story

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Mon Jul 2 14:34:07 UTC 2007

Hi!

	Now we should think producing the movie :)

	Now seriously.. also a little of intellectual ergonomy will not
hurt. As I see things Smalltalk born as an intellectual ergonomic approach
to map the computers behavior to human thinking (and not the otherwise).
Smalltalk is very good maping abstract thinking (and dynamic behavior
trhough the use of messages). So it succeeds now in the most fundamental
parts for this mapping goal and does it as an ergonomic and minimalistic
machine.

	The thing is, that there are *a lot* of other ergonomic details that
are in the path to the human beigns in the human-computer interaction. And
they that can be improved to make it a better path.

	Think of going minimalistically and smoothly trough the path that
goes through the hands and fingers (or whatever human hardware) to the
abtractions in the synapses of the human brain: Smalltalk has an serious
good chance of success. Also it's focus it's not diverging of this.

	So if we can advance little by little prioritizing de development of
the prioritest details that makes this path smoother we will be improving
the heuristic scoring of squeak. This is to make an heuristic machine to be
better in it's "heuristicality".

	And now to think concretely about what could be good in this
direction for diferent cases, we should ask ourselves constantly:

	"what the interfcace of this tool/subsystem needs to lead me to the
"eureka effect" more confortably, naturally or intuitively and so to unblock
me in this concrete case that, I, the (human beign) user, am working on?"

	A simplistic (so most probably incomplete) approach for this will
be: to evade violations to the main design principles.

	All the best,

Sebastian Sastre
Design reference: http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html