3dot11?

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Tue Jul 3 10:18:15 UTC 2007

Il giorno lun, 02/07/2007 alle 19.19 +0200, Philippe Marschall ha
scritto:
> 2007/7/2, Michael Rueger <michael at impara.de>:
> > Damien Cassou wrote:
> >
> > > What about a 100% free access to the official repository? Everyone
> >
> > Oh, you mean software development by anarchy?
> >
> > Great idea...
>
> Yeah, works pretty well for Seaside. A Squeak package several people
> make a living of.

As Philippe is saying, the idea isn't as bad as it may sound.

Obviously this doens't mean that anyone can create "official" updates
and releases - only someone from the release team would be allowed to do
that.
Many open source projects allow people to commit to the repository, but
the official packages get created by the project manager/owner.

We could also agree to a compromise and allow access to the repos to a
larger group of developers, without moving to 100% free access.

Having a more open approach could streamline the bug fixing/harvesting
process: instead of attaching a patch file to a mantis bug, reporters
and developers could just point to a package in the repository.

	Giovanni