3dot11?

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Tue Jul 3 20:08:11 UTC 2007

I should say that it made me think a lot when ralph was talking about
social engineering to bring
people to help and I see ***no*** communication about the fixes been
introduced in 3.10.
I think that there is a total lack of communication and if damien
would not build regularly
an image we would have no clue that there are progress.

>> Hi all,
>>
>> It is now July.
>>
>> While 3dot10 has not yet wrapped it is definitely in
>> beta. So it is time to ask where and how is the 3dot11
>> team being assembled?
>
> I'd like to propose that instead of having another team replace the
> current one, we just add a two or thre more people to the current team
> (if Ralph and Edgar agree to stay on, of course).
>
> This would have some advantages:
> 1) managing the image with Monticello is difficult at best. Having
> a new
> release team for every version means that the team always has to
> relearn
> the same tricks before it can start working proficiently on the new
> release.

I proposed to ralph to participate and pair with him on 3.10
We passed all the information we had to ralph (and he released that we
have implemented in 3.9 the process he had in mind).
I guess that pavel wanted to help too but there were miscommunication.
I will not talk for him but real progress should be made on that side.

> 2) having a larger team would allow specialization in the release
> team.
> One release team member could specialize in, say, devel tools, while
> another one could specialize on file and network, etc.

Indeed

> 3) having the release team serve for more than a single release
> iteration would allow planning on a longer timespan and creating a
> proper roadmap.

Indeed why 3.11 and why not 4.0