Contributors Agreement signature status?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jul 4 11:44:16 UTC 2007

Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> On 7/3/07, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

>>      This is roughly the plan for Naiad, Spoon's module system.
>>
>>      I'm mostly a technocrat: I want to put my effort into the
>> technology I think is most effective. Do you have a similar mindset? Is
>> there something about Spoon that you think is lacking? Are we dealing
>> with technical issues, or political ones, or something else? It's not
>> clear to me why, apparently, we're working at cross purposes.
>
> If we would have free Spoon now, nothing important would change
> because Spoon is too different from current systems - from this point
> of view it's similar to the current free Squeak 1.1. Spoon is a fork
> with own VM, module system, major changes in the system architecture.
> I don't think that there are some political issues. I simply want/need
> modular free image that can run in context of current Squeak
> applications and tools and I want it as soon as possible.

Looking from a distance I strongly agree with Pavel here. Spoon is
revolutionary but yet unproven concept while Pavel is doing evolutionary
work on an existing image. One can be more confident that such approach
will lead to a better and reliable image sooner than a more
revolutionary one. But Spoon can be much better later.

I think that both should be developed in parallel. Pavel work with a lot
of small steps on existing image and Craig work on Spoon as a complete
new paradigm. When Spoon will be ready and proven on few battlefields,
then will be a time for a switch.

I hope you won't mind those few thoughts from a young Squeaker but old
Smalltalker ...

Best regards
Janko

--