3dot11?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jul 5 07:07:57 UTC 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 8:26 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I do feel completely justified to reclassify an issue affecting
>> FormCanvas from Balloon3D to Morphic. If you feel that was
>> inappropriate
>> I'm curious to hear your reasoning.
>
> I discovered the bug while using the BalloonCanvas framework. I was
> not doing anything related to Morphic programming (I was just drawing
> on ColorForms), so I thought this was related to graphics. This was
> probably a wrong assumption.
>
>> From there, things get a little more difficult. A couple of days
>> later,
>> you filed another, logically related (but structurally independent)
>> change to BalloonEngine which I actually looked at but didn't like at
>> all (you may not have realized that the implication of this change is
>> that each and every use of BalloonEngine comes with a 256k memory
>> allocation - even if you draw a 1x1px form) so I decided to postpone
>> this until the time I could sit down and work out a better fix.
>
> Yes I realized that this wasted memory. That's why I asked you for
> help:
>
> "renggli 10-15-06 17:56: Reminder sent to: andreas. Desperately
> looking at some other hardcoded clipping constants I stumbled across
> BaloonEngine>>#initialize. It is a very interesting method, because it
> uses both numbers that I observed as a drawing limit in the
> x-direction. I don't understand what the variable 'span' is used for
> however. Andreas, isn't this code part of Balloon3D ..."
>
> Since I got no answer I helped myself: I patched it in my image so
> that it worked for my use-case and posted the patch to mantis knowing
> that this might not be the perfect solution.
>
> Frankly I didn't expect that this bug report would ever be looked at
> or mentioned again. I am glad that the issue is now discussed in the
> list.
>
>> I can't speak for whether someone cares about the Morphic bits but
>> if an
>> issue gets filed in a category that I don't monitor it's a very
>> good way
>> to make sure I won't ever look at it.
>
> But this was you that re-categorized it under Morphic:
>
> 10-12-06 02:32  andreas         Category Balloon3D => Morphic
>
> Should we split the bug-report into two categories (Balloon3D and
> Morphic)?

Seems like you are unaware that Balloon and Balloon3D are two
completely different frameworks. Balloon is a 2D renderer with anti-
aliasing, originally written and optimized towards rendering SWF. The
BalloonCanvas utilizes the BalloonEngine for Morphic drawing.
Balloon3D is a 3D graphics engine with multiple backends, including a
software rasterizer with bilinear textur filtering, Direct3D and
OpenGL accelerated backends.

- Bert -