Spoon planning

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Jul 6 00:07:44 UTC 2007

Hi Andreas--

> > > Have someone other than you use it...
> >
> > Ah, and how do I get them to do that? :)  That sounds like a
> > restatement of the original problem.
>
> No, not really. After all you are positing that this is technology
> that will benefit many people, right? If this is so, there should be
> someone who says that this technology is such a clear win that they're
> willing to give it a shot.

     I'm not sure about that. Matthew's response[1] notwithstanding
(thanks, Matthew! :), what I have seen here is a bunch of people waiting
for someone else to be successful before they will consider making an
attempt. That feels very strange to me given the level of ambition and
adventure I have perceived here in the past.

> So what I'm saying is that one measure of success is whether there is
> actually someone who says "yes, this looks so clearly beneficial to my
> problem that I'm willing to be the first to try it". Every technology
> has that problem, and every successful technology has (by definition)
> overcome it.

     Heh, sure, but often (usually, in my experience) under the
influence of some other force (e.g., "it's from Microsoft"). I have also
seen many good ideas *not* considered because of pressure from some
non-technical concern (e.g., "it's not from Microsoft" ;). But then this
all plays into what "clear win" means... it can become unclear over time. :)

     thanks again,

-C

[1] http://tinyurl.com/34cl8q

--