how to become modular (was "Contributors Agreement signature status?")

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Jul 6 05:36:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:56:59 -0700, Avi Bryant <avi at dabbledb.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/07, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:
>
>> Having a short-term-gain mindset at all times will
>> cause the total effort to be much harder and take much longer. I'm sorry
>> if this sounds harsh (it sounds harsh to me, you don't need to convince
>> me of that :). Despite that, I think it's still best to speak plainly
>> here.
>
> I can live with the disruption.  Here's what I wouldn't be able to
> live with: when I'm standing on the street corner hailing a cab to
> take me to the airport, one of the subway engineers comes over and
> tells me off.  "All you have to do is grab a shovel and help out and
> we'll get you to the airport in style - *so* much better than a taxi,
> and less total effort in the long run."  That's nice, buddy, but I've
> got a plane to catch.

Maybe I mis-appraise the situation, I can't recall Craig ever asking for
help. Other than "try out the latest", that is. I don't think there's much
to be done until Spoon is usable to start adding on.

To strain the metaphor, the subway engineer is really just telling you
that shovels should be along soon.<s>

Now, maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that the "project of decent
size" would be Squeak itself. Should Spoon and Squeak not be compatible to
a high degree, particularly at the higher levels?

Once the shovels are available, I can't imaagine we won't see a lot of
digging. But that's speculation for now.