how to become modular

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Fri Jul 6 18:33:08 UTC 2007

Craig,

I was not commenting on how long much time something should take, so
much as on the (lack of) equivalence between your work and what Pavel is
trying to do (as I understand it).  In the flood of posts, I thought I
saw you claim that Pavel is duplicating parts of spoon.  He wants the
3.10 packaging done yesterday, where you are obviously (witness spoon
and squat before it) willing to spend years in the quest for a
slash/burn/rebuild solution.  There is room (even need) for both
approaches, but I think Pavel's approach will do more good for more
Squeakers in far less time than Spoon can do on a similar time scale.
That is not to say that you will not ultimately create the kernel on top
of which future Squeak versions will run, but I do not think that
Squeak's development should wait for you to finish what is certainly a
big job.  Finally, note that packaging will make it easier to merge the
two systems in the future.

Bill

Craig Latta wrote:
Hi Bill--

> Just my 2 asCents. Feel free to straighten me out as appropriate.

Just one quibble... :)

> Spoon appears to be a very much different effort, and one that is
> years old.

Okay, how long was it supposed to take, and why? :) Again, I'm
interested in knowing the perceived constraints.

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254