Morphic!!!

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 01:54:24 UTC 2007

Morphic! (from - methods for license conversion -
thread)

***

>tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
>Thu Jul 5 20:52:26 UTC 2007
>
>On 4-Jul-07, at 12:40 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>

>> I have prepared an image with small code base that
is ready for
>> license conversion and is able to load a sequence
of packages up to
>> working Morphic system.
>
>I'm rather inclined to the idea that "Morphic Must
Die!"

It hurts me to hear you say that, Tim. You have a
responsible position on the board of squeakfoundation
and what you say carries weight. And can cause harm.
It might also bring about the very thing you wish for.
And I believe if that happened you would want to
unwish it.

I have been making efforts and progress (with self
funded resources) to repair squeakdev morphic. Most of
what I’ve done I’ve done on spec and the toughest part
of my task has been to “sell” the repairs to the
various and ever changing harvesting/releasing teams.

Smalltalk/Squeak is a very rich language base on a
half page response to a challenge to do something
interesting and powerful in that half page.

Morphic is an interation or two beyond that and to me
represents a challenge to let even children do
interesting things graphically just by assembling
pre-existing morphs.

Morphic also represents a first pass at doing things.
Its been so popular lots of people have tried their
hand at it. Some with less understanding than others.

The harvesting teams have never before had the ability
to do quality control. So poor smelling code has
accumulated in squeak in general and it will look like
it is mostly in morphic because people mostly see
morphic.  As I’ve tracked down these bugs I have found
the most profound ones to pre-date morphic.

Now it would be nice if someone gave you a gazillion
dollars and stood back and watched what you produced
with it.  It would be nice if people of the quality
who could create a Cairo Canvas or whatever did so
with their own self funded time or some of your
gazillions.  But we both are probably aware that that
is NGH (Not-Gonna_Happen).

You got what you got. You CAN start from where you
are.  You can use the wonderful tools that exist in
squeak to produce, patiently, slowly, and
incrementally, a morphic and squeak that is much
better than it is today.

My question for you is stated in POSITIVE terms, what
did you really mean to say?
What as a user story would you like to see come about?

What (other than the NGH gazillions) is keeping it
from happening?
What is keeping you from making progress towards the
goal?
Or stated in postive terms what would get you(us)
started along the path to that goal?

Your in curiosity and service,  --Jerome Peace