methods for license conversion

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 23:10:24 UTC 2007

On 06/07/07, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:14:50 -0700, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> > Don't know the answer to that one; I was under the impression that Cairo
> > was 'just' graphics but I haven't really researched it per se. Given
>
> It's vector graphics, though you can build a UI with it. I (incorrectly)
> thought it mapped to native tools.

About Cairo, as noted on site:
Cairo is a 2D graphics library with support for multiple output
devices. Currently supported output targets include the X Window
System, Win32, image buffers, PostScript, PDF, and SVG file output.
Experimental backends include OpenGL (through glitz), Quartz, and XCB.

1 fact: i assume it proposes a cross-platform layer of abstraction on
top of existing graphics libraries (like DirecX/OpenGL whatever).
2nd fact, i dont like: its 2D only.

I prefer to directly use OpenGL (which is already a cross-platform)
and provides enough capabilities to develop a UI using 2D graphics or
3D (like composite desktops/games e.t.c). I think using OpenGL
directly for creating UI is better choice for squeak.
I implemented a scratch replacement of Canvas/Display stuff to use GL
via FFI for drawing morphic with squeak. Premiliary, based on rough
calculations it renders desktop 3 to 5 times faster than currently
used Balloon/BitBlt. Also, i noticed that changes needed to make use
of GL with morphic architecture is minimal, and opening a wide range
perspective for creating a stunning and fast UI for squeak, not
limited by third-party libraries, which providing own abstraction
layer(s).
Anyways, to use modern graphics cards features with squeak, we have no
choice but to use some of the existing external libraries. And OpenGL
is a winner here, without a doubt.