How to get GLORP

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Tue Jul 10 15:19:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:48 -0400, Richard Eng wrote:
> I'm a Squeak newbie. I'm trying to get GLORP. But I'm encountering
> *endless* problems...
>
> First, in Squeak 3.9, I try using SqueakMap Package Loader to install
> GLORP 0.3.138. I encounter the following error:
>
>     Error occurred during install:
>     UndefinedObject>>methodsFor:stamp:
>
> Then I try to get GLORP off the Internet. I find it at map.squeak.org.
> But the download is in SAR format!!!
>
> Then I look for something that will un-SAR this file. It's called
> SAPCAR.exe and there is no friggin' way for me to get it!
>
> I tried to find Nevin Pratt, the maintainer. But his website
> (www.smalltalkpro.com) no longer exists!
>
> So how do I get GLORP successfully into my Squeak environment???

Your problem has todo with squeak 3.9. If you want to use the
sotware from squeakmap you can do this easily by using squeak 3.8.

If you want to use squeak 3.9 you should get used to monticello.
If you click on the background in the squeak window a menu appears
and you can find open...  then open Monticello Browser.

You need to enter new repositories by clicking +Repository. The URL
are most interesting for you are

http://www.squeaksource.com/GlorpPreload
http://www.squeaksource.com/Glorp
http://www.squeaksource.com/GlorpPostload

Open GlorpPreload and select the topmost entry and press load. Then
open Glorp and do the same. I uploaded a new version a few minutes
ago which should load into 3.9. Finally open GlorpPostload and load
the topmost entry you'll find there. Be sure you loaded the Post-
gresql client and Ansi compatibility packages from squeakmap before

Let me know if you were successful.

Norbert