Smalltalk and Silverlight/DLR (browser side)

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 15:23:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

What I like about Python blogs is learning about the rest of the World
as well  [1] ;)

Since
"""
Your search - site:lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/
silverlight - did not match any documents.
"""
I then just wanted to mention this link:
http://vistasmalltalk.wordpress.com/tag/silverlight/

a screenshot:
http://vistascript.net/vistascript/data/silverlight/tests/smalltalk22.jpg

Silverlight is the proprietary, closed source, technology form
Microsoft which directly compete with Flash/Flex form Adobe (Flex
'engine' in now Open Source).

That said one of the main advantage of Silverlight is the DLR (Dynamic
Language Runtime) which support Python, Ruby (or whatever dynamic
language you want to adapt on the DLR) directly on the browser side.

Silverlight works in IE, Firefox and Safari (on Windows/OSX) and the
Mono team is porting it to Linux:
http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

Silverlight 1.1 is still on an alpha stage and it shows on my XP box
(the smalltalk example doesn't show me links, in the launcher window,
but they work and I can play with objects and the simulated gravity).

Never the less, because of the DLR, I believe the Silverlight plugin
will have an important installed base in a few months/years so it is
maybe another way for Smalltalk to spread more (beyond the Squeak
Browser plugin user base).

francois

[1] http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2007_07_07.shtml#e764