Smalltalk and Silverlight/DLR (browser side)

mmille10 at comcast.net mmille10 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 00:48:10 UTC 2007

sig wrote:
"Can't say i like this technology, especially which comes from
Microsoft. How about Spoon-based browser plugin? ;)"

Last I heard Silverlight only runs on Windows and the Mac. I haven't heard of a Linux version.

The author of Vista Smalltalk has also made versions of it that run on Adobe Flash/Apollo. I don't believe they're open source either, but Flash is a runtime that's widely deployed. Just about everybody with a PC or a Mac has it.

Vista Smalltalk also allows you to use Lisp, BTW.

I like the idea of Vista Smalltalk, no matter what it runs on. Some are exploring the idea of what's been coined Rich Internet Applications (RIAs), to extend the functionality of browser applications. This provides a vehicle by which Smalltalk and even Lisp could "piggyback" on Flash, and enable developers to work with them and deploy what they've written in a way that's accessible to a lot of people.

While I like the idea of deploying applications on Squeak, it's not deployed as widely as Flash. The last time I did any research on this, it's my understanding that most people don't like the idea of adding components to their browsers. They take what comes with their systems. Unfortunately they've been scared into submission by the malware threats.

---Mark
mmille10 at comcast.net