Can't run squeak under amd64 ubuntu

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jul 17 01:09:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 07:44:25PM -0400, Timmy Douglas wrote:
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> writes:

> >> Is this out of date?
> >>
> >> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/
> >>

> >> Should I be getting the sources from somewhere else?
> >
> > Yes. The material on that site is a snapshot of the original
> > 64bit port development work. Those sources are now out of date
> > with respect to VMMaker sources, and definitely will not work.
> > You can get up to date platform sources from http://squeakvm.org.
> > The command to use on a Linux system is:
> >  "svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk squeak-svn-source"
>
> Ok I tried running it again after building it:
>
> timmy at timmy-desktop:~/src/squeak/seaside-test/squeak-svn-source/platforms/unix/bld$ ./squeak ../../../../Squeak3
> 0alpha.7121.image
> X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  78
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  0
>   Serial number of failed request: 7

Sorry, I don't know what is causing this.

> If I try to use that old 64 bit image I get an error like:
>

> This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 0).
> Press CR to quit...
>
> (I guess the current build always expects a 32 bit image?)

All of the images that you are interested in are 32 bit images. You are
trying to build a VM for 64 bit host hardware that will run the existing
32 bit images. If you try to run a 64 bit image on either 32 bit or
64 bit host hardware, you will see the above error message.

> > Along with the platform sources, you need VMMaker from SqueakMap.
> > There are also some other change sets that you may need, but
> > that have not yet been included in VMMaker. These are currently
> > floating around the vm-dev mailing list and/or Mantis.
>
> how do I get VMMaker from SqueakMap if I can't run squeak? It sounds
> sort of complicated...

Start with any working Squeak on any operating system, and use it to
load VMMaker. That image will run on *any* platform, regardless of OS,
regardless of 64/32 bit stuff. You can use it to generate the sources
that you need, then compile on your target platform (configure/make on
your AMD 64 system).

Dave