Faster dictionaries?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 19 17:30:10 UTC 2007

Damien Cassou wrote:
> your work sounds interesting to me. Is your dictionary passing the
> tests given in DictionaryTest? If yes, why not opening a bug report on
> mantis and try to have it integrated into a future squeak release?

I'd recommend running your own benchmarks first. Claims like here:

>> smalltalk vs mine:
>> --
>> time to add to sd: 159
>> time to add to md: 63178
>> time to access to sd: 147
>> time to access to md: 49052
>> time to replace to sd: 132
>> time to replace to md: 50736
>> time to remove 300 from sd: 2
>> --
>> sd - my dict
>> md - smalltalk Dictionary. removing keys takes forever, so i stopped
>> it before it printed a result..

... where BucketDictionary is supposedly 500 times faster in every
regard (adding, accessing, replacing) sound to good to be true. I love
500x speed improvements just like the next guy but in my experience
these don't just happen.

Cheers,
   - Andreas