Ergonomics - Rant

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:32:03 UTC 2007

I had this problem too all the time, until I discovered that if instead of putting the paren at the end, you just highlight the whole code that goes in parens and press the left one.  It puts both on around the highlighted code, so now it's gone from an irritation to something I miss when it's not there. :)> From: tblanchard at mac.com> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:32:32 -0700> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Subject: Re: Ergonomics - Rant> > Oh, I'll chime in - it doesn't work the way I do and it drives me nuts.> > I often type most of a line, realize I need parens around part of it  > at the end of the line, put in the closing paren, then go back to put  > in the opening one - where it then insists on providing a matching  > closing one.  In general, I often end up typing the closing quote/ > paren first, then go back to put in the opening ones.> > In other words, I never code left to right - I code like an artist  > builds a picture - starting with a sketch and gradually filling in  > detail jumping around.  eCompletion is a huge impediment when you are  > doing this as you spend more time deleting spurious matching quotes  > and parens than you do just typing stuff.> > I'm quite willing to agree that I might not be typical - but that's  > how I work - successive approximations of proper code rather than  > left to right perfection.> > -Todd Blanchard> > On Jul 16, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:> > > 2007/7/16, Gary Chambers <gazzaguru2 at btinternet.com>:> >> Since we do business devlopment we like to keep things a bit more  > >> stable,> >> though try to keep up with the main release.> >> Besides, I find the eCompletion stuff a bit problematic (some of  > >> us use it> >> though).> >> > What is problematic for you might be problematic for others too.  > > What is it?> >> > -- > > Damien Cassou> >> >