Linux install - dumb questions

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 05:25:42 UTC 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007 7:06 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
> Subbu mentioned packages.  I am not above that, but want to be able to
> do a good job of installing the latest.  If I can turn the archives into
> packages and load them, that would be fine by me.  Any pointers?
If you wish to build your own deb from a tar.gz, see:

Jens maintains the latest stable debs at:
 http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu

Apart from installing them into standard locations (which require root
permission), you could also extract the files from the deb archive into your
own home locations (see -x option of dpkg(1)) to check them out.

Hope this helps .. Subbu