Delay and Server reliability

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 18:00:09 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>>> Is there any chance that this patch goes to 3.10?
>>
>> Chance would be greater if unit tests were included.
>
> Good luck with that. I tried for a couple of hours to find a reliable
> way of creating this problem with not even so much as a hint of being
> able to make it happen. The problem is that on any local machine
> you're never completely independent from the time source of that
> machine and if you are dependent on the time source you are in sync
> with Delay and everything will be fine. You need an independent source
> of events and I've yet to find someone who shows me how to write unit
> tests across multiple machines (and no, running multiple images on the
> same machine doesn't work because your process scheduler uses the same
> time source that your image uses so it's not independent).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I dont know if this would help, but I used the process specific package
to warp the clock, so that you can specify your own DateAndTime
implementation on a per process basis. With this technique you can run
the clock at 2x speed or even backwards, so you may be able to schedule
specific event times to recreate the bug.

The code is in monticello repository http://gjallar.krampe.se/  in the
ProcessSpecific package

Keith