Error updating universe list

Norbert Hartl norbert at hartl.name
Thu Jul 26 07:31:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 22:51 +0100, Keith Hodges wrote:
> I deleted the offending package with a view to re-submitting it later.
>
> I have been discussing with Lex the possibility of relaxing the
> "editorial policy" on the development universe so that anyone who has
> contributed a package can update other packages, so that the universe
> can be socially policed.
>
> Any thoughts or votes from users of the 'development' universe?

I like the universe stuff. Coming from a linux background using debian
for years it seems quite natural to have something like the universe.
What is unclear to me is what I can expect from a universe. It's noted
that things in the universe "should" work together. But how is it tested
that it is working? It is great to have dependencies which are being
resolved automatically. But then there are only a few combinations of
packages that work well together. I'm missing (of course) something
like the channels of stability which you have in debian.

I had a look at the universe editor. It is great the browser comes with
an editor and eases the way of updating the universe. The editor could
be a source of stability marks, too. Wouldn't it be feasible to vote for
stability or veto it? If I installed anything from the universe I
should be able to judge about stability. Most important in my opinion
is the ability to veto a combination (to mark it as broken).
On the other side it might be helpful to harvest additional data at the
moment of voting. One package that has dependencies builds a cluster
of packages. I think the "should work together" should be meant across
all clusters of packages which are in the universe. So, if I vote for
some package it is important to know what other packages are installed.
Imagine there is another relationship in the universe beside the
"depends on" relationship name it "known to work". That would build
something like a stable channel automatically. This would make it
possible that universe can propose versions to install based on my
selection of packages.

My two cents.

Norbert