How to generate identically image file after snapshots

Martin Troielli martin.troielli at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:31:43 UTC 2007

Hi All,

We have tried to produce the same (bit identically) image file after two
consecutive snapshots. We start from a base image then, fileIn several
files into it and finally, we just SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true
andQuit: true. We need this to verify the image file generated by a
third-party with a checksum by executing a script.
After trying several ways to get it (even by scripting the fileIn process
and the snapshot), we found that the image files have, beside the
timestamp differences, thousands of other differences and sometimes the
snapshots have also size differeces.
We supose that this kind of issues may occur due to the GC activity.
Are this issues from the way GC process is changing dynamically the memory
bytes? There is a way to inhibite this activity?
Attached are the scripts we use to produce the image files.

Many thanks in advance,
Martin Troielli