UTF8 Squeak

nicolas cellier ncellier at ifrance.com
Tue Jun 12 22:09:56 UTC 2007

Michael Rueger a écrit :
> Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>
>>   That was to keep the image on Windows VM happy.  The table is the
>> "reverse" of the one in the Windows VM.  It was wrong, but it was a
>> byte to byte and lossless.
>>
>>   What should happen is to have two (or more) table. One is compensate
>> the table in Windows VM, and another is the correct one like you have.
>
> Hmm, or use the new Unicode VM instead of compensating one symptom fix
> with another? The above doesn't yield correct input behavior for some
> characters and with the newest Unicode VM we should be able to get rid
> of it?
>
> Michael

Both Bert and Yoshiki are right, but to be more precise, this is the
latin1 code page from dos (CP1252) see
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1252.mspx

So macToSqueak and squeakToMac should rather be named macRomanToCP1252
and cp1252toMacRoman...

So yes, i vote like Michael, fix it!

Otherwise, Squeak is not unicode internally for some of the characters
from 128 to 255, and this contradict this basic assumptions made in this
thread and by naive readers like me...

Nicolas