SmalltalkImage current

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Jun 30 06:31:23 UTC 2007

Giovanni Corriga wrote:
> Interesting. Can I ask why you chose to move everything back to
> Smalltalk and delegate from SmalltalkImage current to Smalltalk instead
> of the other way around?
> Would turning Smalltalk into a full-fledged facade object be a good
> solution?

It is one possible solution. The reason I decided against it was that if
the natural home for those methods is in Smalltalk and if those methods
are primitives (which most of them are) then what is the point in
delegating again? Like, for example, Smalltalk>>vmParameterAt: which is
a comment and then a one-line primitive. Except that in the Squeak.org
versions the one-line primitive is replaced with a deprecation warning,
a no-comment, and a delegation to SmalltalkImage. And what's that good for?

So I decided that since most of the methods in SmalltalkImage are of
that kind it'd be more useful to move them back to where they belong and
have SmalltalkImage instead of Smalltalk be the facade. It also means
that one may be able to get rid of SmalltalkImage at some point (I'm
pretty sure Smalltalk is around to stay ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas