An Example work from the past (was: RE: Squeak Foundation Elections 2007)

Tansel tansel at squeakonline.com
Fri Mar 2 10:48:24 UTC 2007

Further to my previous email. I have put out a demo that I believe that can
be an example of my past work but also help people understand power of
Squeak better. This was written 7 years ago in course of about 2 days of
programming and 2 weeks of graphical work. It is about 4mb image which has
an example of how Squeak can be used to create a very simple but powerful
looking interface without using Morphic or even MVC and can run on a
handheld device with 8M or more memory.

You can download it from
http://www.squeakonine.com/downloads/cedemo.zip

Use your favorite VM in your favorite environment. When you run it first it
will go through a customary regression test so don't panic if you see
several flipping images, and will display a splash page. U/c and pwd are
empty.

This software couldn't be released before but (un)luckily both the
developing company and our old company are no longer in existence and I
finally bit the bullet and decided to debrand and show as an example of what
Squeak could do even 7 years ago.

This should also hint towards an example to endless discussions of IDE and
user interface design. Very simple constructs can be used to create very
sophisticated looking GUIs. One of the keys is to team up with good GUI
designers and good graphics artists. This one stands on the ugly side of
what we were able to do with Squeak in terms of good looks.

As a last note the company commissioned this demo raised more than $1mil
using the demo and decided to redevelop it with Java under the influence of
some "experts" rather than continuing using Squeak. Another round of
financing and 1.5 years later they had their Java based application but they
were too late already.

Tansel