SystemDictionary>>abandonSources bug and misc. deployment problems.

Tomi Neste tomi.neste at netikka.fi
Mon Mar 5 09:51:32 UTC 2007

Hi! While testing out Squeak (vanilla 3.9 image from the windows binary
package) application deployment strategies I bumped into some minor
problems.

1) When doing 'Smalltalk abandonSources', right after "Saving temp names
for better decompilation..." is finished the VM crashes with a "Squeak
fatal error" dialog.

2) SM's Lockdown package leaves the WorldMenu accessible, I guess I would
need to fix that manually. It also gives a "MessageNotUnderstood:
SystemDictionary>>SaveAs" when trying to save the image.

3) QuitDialogMessage and QuitDialogLabel options in the ini file don't
seem to have any effect.

Since I'm not using the Squeak UI in the app I'd like to have a way to
just:

a) Completely hide the squeak window, the headless option still leaves an
icon in the toolbar. I guess I could do it with a simple C program that
launches the VM with appropriate flags.

b) Display a nice logo or something in a 'hardened' squeak window while
the program is running. Maybe also add some gui controls for setting
application preferences etc. It would make things a bit simpler if the
user couldn't resize the squeak window, I guess there is no way to prevent
that?

Any ideas?

thanks, T. Neste