Java's modules rock? (was Re: election details *PLEASE READ*)

James Robertson jarober at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:15:05 UTC 2007

Umm, I must have been misunderstood.  I use Store for both Silt (my
blog server) and BottomFeeder - see the public repository for the
long history of both products.

I use parcels as my deployment mechanism for both Silt and
BottomFeeder.  For the blog server, I have the application server
load from parcels each time it starts (thus giving me a
deterministic, reproducible startup procedure).  I use parcels to
build the BottomFeeder application, and have parcels as the update
mechanism - i.e., you can check for updates in the app, and it will
download parcels and load them at runtime (and at startup the next
time it runs).

I'm not sure where this impression comes ffrom, but it's not the case.

>At ESUG 2006 James Robertson said he doesn't use Parcels for code
>deployment because they are just not reliable (of course he doesn't
>use store either). He uses change sets (or .st files, I don't remember
>exactly) instead.
>
>Philippe

>> > Well, sure. Sorta. Kinda. :-) We can do the same in Squeak with
>> > projects and change sets and it seems to work, too. Sorta. Kinda. :-)
>>
>>rofl :-)
>>

>> > Cheers,
>> >   - Andreas

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView