"Inteligent" Shrink?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:50:31 UTC 2007

The idea isn't obsolete at all.  Look at many of the major applications from
Squeak:  all slimmed down versions of Squeak and in some cases you wouldn't
even realize it was Squeak if you didn't know what to look for.

And I don't understand all the talk about it being so hard to do.  Dolphin
does it and it works wonderfully afaik.

The bottom line is, Linux and (I think) Mac are a market that is open for
someone who can build GUI applications very quickly.  Who ever can make the
nicest apps the fastest will win these markets.  But if you come thumping
the blue book saying "stand alone apps are obsolete, just use the image"
then don't even waste your time.

If Alan Kay's new project works out maybe this will change some-what, but
for the existing OS'es, deployed applications will be stand alone if they
want any acceptance.