Sophie RC2 goes out, with quicktime graphics importer logic

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Mar 7 05:18:53 UTC 2007

We shipped Sophie release candidate 2 on the weekend, of interest is

a) Our QuickTimeReaderWriter which using FFI and quicktime graphics
importers to render all sorts of graphics formats to a squeak form,
or a squeak form to a PNG representation. People might find that code
useful. 1000x times faster when someone wants to read and render a
7.8MB PNG.
Technically you can output to all sorts of graphics formats, but I
didn't write code for doing that, someone else can.

b) Use of the Quicktime Movie Controller interface, we found Apple
seems to have two execution paths for playing back media, Controller
related
and non-controller related. Except for the fact the non-controller
related logic locks up your machine when playing back mpeg movies
over the
internet, why you shouldn't find a difference... Hah.

c) A *very* lightweight interface to let people read/edit/save books
onto a Server, which seems to be located in the deepest/darkest part
of eastern Germany
and runs at 1200 baud. But nothing some fresh funding wouldn't fix...

PS linux support should be better, mind if you don't use mpeg 1 then
bring your own codec.
I've seen quicktime *like* clones about, someone should integrate.

http://www.sophieproject.org/

===