How-to Monticello Configuration

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 8 07:33:45 UTC 2007

Interesting. This is one of the cases where I fundamentally disagree
with Bert's solution. Not because I don't have the "move problem" (I
sure as hell do) but rather because of the troubles that are introduced
by the out-of-order loading that happens with those modifications. For
example, Tweak has a package "Scripting-Preload" that is required to be
loaded *before* the "Scripting" packages. Works great if you load the
packages independently but it can completely (and non-deterministically
as we found out!) screw up if you load them via configurations. The
whole idea of having a different load-order when you load the
configuration vs. when loading the individual packages is extremely
troublesome to me. It means that (due to the non-deterministic
load-order) you cannot possibly predict the order in which things get
loaded/initialized, which also means that given wide enough
distribution, there is really *no* workaround for the initialization
problem (since you cannot test in which order things get loaded) which
is what ultimately led me to revert the changes in Croquet's MC variant.

Cheers,
   - Andreas