Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Thu Mar 8 10:04:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:23:59 +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> stephane ducasse wrote:
>> Now a better answer would be that 1/2 or 2/3 of the board should be
>> renewed every year. This way we make
>> sure that people with fresh energy can contribute. This is a point I
>> will ask the new board to vote on.
>
> Well, I don't really see how the board could vote on this - if the board
> is a representative of the community then it's the community who votes
> on it. And if the community wants "more of the same" it can certainly
> say so (and, not surprisingly, has in this election). It would be
> difficult to make arbitrary decisions like requiring that there must be
> a certain amount of turnaround each year

Not at all. During the two decades that I served in organizations run by
volunteers, this particular decision was always made by the board and the
community had to accept it. After all, the board's ob is to serve and if
it cannot serve, it has to innovate. If it helps one can think along this
line: we've elected the members of the board, and now they are free to
make (even tough) decisions, until next election day.

/Klaus