Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 8 22:34:34 UTC 2007

stephane ducasse wrote:
> I would really like to see if we can get more people voting in the
> future.
> If you have ideas or suggestions I would be interested.
First we need to engage our sibling communities. My call for
representatives went unanswered, and probably for good cause. To gain
access to them, we need to create and use some common communication
channels (blogs?). To gain their interest, the Board should be doing
things that matter to those communities, then they will want to vote to
affect how things go. Getting an SqP account is not so great a barrier,
if they are interested enough.

The other thing I think would help (the quality of votes, certainly, and
maybe their number) is a livelier debate on the issues between the
candidates. While the voters have an interest in asking questions, and
the elections team wants to see a nice discussion, the people that have
the most to gain from it are the candidates. This is an opportunity for
a candidate to:
- Convince voters your opinions make sense, therefore they should vote
for you.
- Get to know your future board members, and their stance on the
subjects you'll be trying to work on.
- Clarify to yourself your own goals for this term, and commit publicly
to some of them.

Nevertheless, there was not much back and forth. Some people think the
Board is not a technical forum, while at least Bert thinks it should be,
or at least one should exist. Discussion? none. Funding projects seems
to be more more popular this year, to Stef's joy. But at the end of the
elections, he still doesn't know whether it will happen. Why not?

Daniel