Java's modules rock? (was Re: election details)

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 02:14:09 UTC 2007

Hi all.

Sorry for the lack of replies... I've been... umm... distracted by Wesnoth (
http://www.wesnoth.org) :-).

On 3/2/07, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Michael,
>
> I've been meaning to review your work, have you made any progress on it.
> Have you considered putting together a protection profile?  Could we use
> your work as a starting point for FIPS?  How far away from a working model
> are you?  Revolutionary is good, as long as the target is realistic.

What's a protection profile? I wouldn't use my work as a starting point for
the FIPS stuff until it works at least as well as the 3.9 image.

Progress so far has been slow. Basic classes like Namespace have been
tentatively made; I'm now modifying the Browser to be able to look at them.

After that, I've got several other tasks:

- Find a way of storing source code so that Namespaces are preserved. I
might let the squeak.changes file format bit-rot (eventually deprecating it
completely) and instead modify Monticello to preserve Namespace structure.

- Make sure other tools in PlusTools work with Namespaces.

- Then I start the massive task of converting core Squeak classes to use
Namespaces: Kernel, Collections and Networking.

- Then I take a very serious look at Islands and Squeak-E, salvaging what I
can for a secure Squeak.

I can't realistically offer to help for at least another 6 months, I'm
> swamped.  But maybe we can have a more in depth conversation on the
> Cryptography Team List.

Sure.

Michael.