Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 9 17:49:25 UTC 2007

In the case of a resigning board member, there are probably 3 options
for how to proceed:

1. Select the next-highest vote getter from the previous election
2. Hold a special election to re-elect someone for that position
3. Don't refill the position, carry on with a smaller board

For what it's worth, I'm a member of a different board, and our board
has a fixed rule in place (as part of our by-laws) which is a
combination of #1 and #3:  We select the next-highest vote getter, but
if we're less than 3 months from the next election then we don't fill
the position.  This rule has worked pretty well for us.  (This board is
a low-tech, non-Internet-based board which has been around for 50 years,
but the principles remain the same.)

More specifically, if the next-highest vote getter is not willing to
serve, we proceed to the next-highest vote getter after that.  (This
actually happened last year with our board, the next-highest person
declined to serve, but the person after that was willing.)  As far as
treating "Nobody" as a bottom limit, that's not a bad idea, although
that ties your by-laws to the more specific CIVS voting process, but
that may be OK.

Personally, I think #2 (holding a special election) is probably too much
overhead for a volunteer board, and not worth the effort.

Typically, it's the job of the board to amend its own by-laws, so I'd
imagine the board would discuss and vote on this internally, rather than
having the elections team make a decision.

- Doug