Package management (was Re: How-to Monticello Configuration)

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:53:52 UTC 2007

I may have asked this before, and if so I apologize, but is there any place
that shows the different packaging systems, what they have in common, what
is different, etc.?

I think it is important to either make these things compatible with each
other or consider adopting just one.  Everyone likes choices, but for
system/environment components they can be more problem then benefit.

We don't want to do like Linux with way too many choices for things that
don't matter that much (e.g. 23412341234 different window managers) but
completely missing seemingly low hanging fruit (e.g. not a single free
installer I am aware of that can automatically set up my new Linux machine
to authenticate via LDAP they way windows does out of the box).