Maintainiable Squeak VM ports (was Re: Squeak on Handhelds (Update))

Aaron Reichow revaaron at bitquabit.com
Sun Mar 11 08:21:38 UTC 2007

I'd just like to chime in to second Brian's sentiment. Like a lot of
folks, I do Smalltalk, not C. And I don't do VMs. It's just not my
thing, I'm not a VM hacker, like Brian says. The VMs I've used on
WinCE were ones that Yoshiki compiled a long time ago, and haven't
been updated since 2002 or so, but I've gotten by.  Obviously, that
isn't sustainable... But the solution, at least for Brian and I, is
to use a Linux-based tablet, esp one that uses X11 for its GUI,
because it's very easy to get Squeak running on it. Out of the folks
working on handheld Squeak, at least the ones I can think of doing
work today, there really isn't much interest in VM hacking.

Even in the areas of possibly extending the VM for PDA-specific
features- tapping into Nokia's GTK+ soft-keyboard and input system
isn't something I'm interested in, as I'd rather do it in Squeak and
make it available to any platform you were using it.  I just took
what Gerald compiled, which was more or less out of the box, and am
running with it. There are some tweaks I need to make to make it more
usable on the Nokia 770/N800- giving it an icon to launch and switch
back and forth to for instance- but these things don't require
altering the VM.

With these embedded platforms, it really is a matter of having
someone interested in doing it.  We could, with enough ingenuity have
Squeak running on any embedded platform with enough juice to power
it, and there have been ports of a lot of them in the past- there
even was an EPOC32 port that would probably be a good starting point
for the Sony-Ericson phones.  But that said, unless you've got
someone who has a personal reason to have Squeak running on that
specific OS, with knowledge of the VM and the new OSes APIs it isn't
likely to happen.  It's a lot easier, and cheaper from one angle, for
me to recommend purchasing some sort of Linux or CE based PDA to
someone who wants to get into handheld Squeak rather than learning
the requisite VM hacking and PalmOS/EPOC/Symbian/Whatever knowledge-
you can get a used Linux or CE PDA off of eBay for $100, but learning
that stuff would certainly cost more than a few hours of my time.

Just some thoughts...

Regards,
Aaron