Java's modules rock? (was Re: election details *PLEASE READ*)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 11 17:56:19 UTC 2007

Lex Spoon wrote:
> Yes, that is fair generalization.  I would like the default module
> format to allow unanticipated reuse.  Just look at the packages
> Squeakers post for each other, and you will see all kinds of things
> that modify the system.  How could you write something like Shout if a
> module cannot change the system text editor?

Err, by refactoring it in a way so that you can? We have already various
abstractions (AppRegistry) and there is nothing wrong to have one that
allows for syntax highlighting - with a common protocol that allows
other clients to hook into it, instead of hacking the system text editor
directly. Coincidentally, this is *precisely* what I referred to earlier
wrt. explicit vs. implicit interactions. As it stands, loading an
alternative syntax highlighter will (almost necessarily) clash with
shout; with that interface both modules could use the same ground rules,
could be loaded side by side and could be activated depending on the
context you need them in.

Cheers,
   - Andreas