Squeak MIDI output with Linux / ALSA

Florian Hars florian at hars.de
Mon Mar 12 22:48:29 UTC 2007

Takashi Yamamiya schrieb:
> I fixed it the end of last year. Could you try latest vm from
> the svn repository?
Of course, that was not the latency I was talking about. I was talking about a
general MIDI sluggishness. If I abuse Scratch as a seqencer to play a drum loop
and then try to play somthing on my MIDI keyboard, I get a delay from the
keyboard if I route

Squeak ---+
           +-> timidity -> ALSA
Keyboard -+

but no noticeable delay if I route

Squeak ---+
           +-> Fluidsynth -> JACK
Keyboard -+

but in the latter case, non-MIDI audio from Squeak does not work, because
jack hogs the soundcard.

Yours, Florian.
--
But our moral language is fragmented; our contemporaries reject the Kantian
hunch that choosing those things most admirable and plausible as ends in