Spoon progress 2007-03-13: Nexus reference visualization

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Mar 16 06:51:05 UTC 2007

Hi Josh--

> I remember Ralph saying that some of his students were interested in
> 3D programming interfaces; this could be a very nice tool. How long
> does it take to compute the spanning tree?

     A long time. :)  About 90 minutes in the interpreter simulator on a
1.25 GHz Powerbook G4. I haven't done anything to make it faster yet,
though.

> How long does it take for Walrus to visualize it (did it have to do
> much precomputation before viewing)?

     Walrus takes about ten seconds to parse the data and a minute to
render it (but after that the animation is very fast, as in the movie).
So again, a relatively long time. It'd be fun to adapt the H3
visualization algorithms it uses to Croquet, and cut out the
file-writing step.

-C

--
Craig Latta