A few good Sophie Books needed, or 982 days of Sophie.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 22 03:41:38 UTC 2007

Seems the Sophie Marketing Team (tm) has left the office, not that I
could tell if there was one, seems to be always the case on these
open source projects.

Someone says why don't the developers make some books? Right...

Give me a graphite pencil, I'll wonder where the wood came from, was
it glued or lathed, is the yellow paint (pantone color?) eatable, and
is that natural rubber or synthetic?

Draw nicely shaded etching of a landscape?

No way. Marker pen and stick diagrams maybe.

So we need some folks who actually have artistic talents to make a
few small books showing off capabilities, their cleverness, heck
they'll even get free advertising, hand holding from the original
developers, priceless...

As a benefit you get to expose what funky bugs we have in the system
after 982 calendar days (many *long* days) of work,  8,156 email
messages, 7,234 mantis emails, 2,523 mantis entries (mostly all
closed, that last 10% well...). Oh and countless wiki pages lurking
somewhere during the design phase, and likely 10's of thousands lines
of code we tossed to flash memory never to speak of again. That's my
stats, other team members likely have larger numbers.

But oddly enough not many nice looking books on the server, lots of
lame test books lurk of course, something about marker pens and stick
diagrams come to mind.

After pushing I think it's about 500 downloads in the last 24 hours,
number one complaint has been: Not enough examples.

http://www.sophieproject.org

Mantis bugs to close, ya, example books from me? Not likely...
===