DEADLINE for Squeak contributor agreements: 1 May 2007

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Sat Mar 24 20:07:57 UTC 2007

Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net> writes:
> Craig Latta wrote:
> >      Also, not redistributing something and forgetting about it are very
> > different things.
>
> well, I meant the former. since we are in the situation of dropping
> code from the image just because their authors passed away.
>
> anyway, I'm only saying I find this sad... I don't have anything to
> propose for a change.

I understand we can only go so far to track people down.  However, it
is worth a little effort I think to keep the code if possible.  I
would imagine the copyright tends to fall to an inheritor in these
cases, barring an explicit clause in a will, which seems unlikely.

In that case, it should be possible to contact their family find the
inheritor, and ask them.

Do ask the lawyers involved.  They can tell you not only a theoretical
answer, but a practical one.  For example, it might be a practical
answer to leave some code in for a while, perhaps with a note in the
copyright info.

Lex