Fastest way to mock up web UI?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 17:11:49 UTC 2007

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi -
>
> This is an interesting point. But I'm not sure I understand Magritte
> enough to be able to make a good decision.
I am not sure that I understand magritte at all! As a pier user I have
never used magritte.
> First, I think Magritte isn't being used to define application control
> flow, is this correct? If not, how does one define control flow in
> Magritte (data
> flow I can see by having editors on editors on editors but control
> flow seems different).  Second, Magritte is effectively an extension
> to Seaside, no? Therefore, any decision
Magritte is orthogonal to seaside, it is not really related conceptually
apart from the fact that seaside can be used with Magritte.

 From what I understand, which is very little, Magritte enables you to
describe your data types in such a way that forms for editing those data
types can be built automatically. So Magritte is at a different more
fundamental level, it supports the data modelling.

As far as control flow goes, I havent got a clue.

Seaside components as editors onto the underlying model are only one
possible emitter/front-end from Magritte. Magritte can equally well be
used to emit a morphic ui for editing the same data. As web interfaces
are becoming richer with AJax and XUL front ends. Magritte seems equally
well positioned to keep up with the latest fads, to generate XUL
interfaces onto its model, rather than going through the inconvenience
of HTML.

Since Pier is built on Magritte, this has the practical benefit that the
data in Pier is fully accessible outside of html, via alternative
front-end frameworks. It is possible to use a morphic browser onto the
same model without any extra work.
> about Magritte would imply to go with Seaside too (incl. the good and
> the bad of it).
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide.

best regards

Keith