ESUG SummerTalk 2007 Strongtalk project

David Griswold david-squeakdev at formaleyes.com
Tue May 1 01:05:54 UTC 2007

Hi everyone.

ESUG has graciously offered to fund a student to help with the Strongtalk
project as part of the SummerTalk 2007 program (thanks Stephane).
SummerTalk will pay the student 1500 euros for this work.   I will be acting
as mentor for this project.

While there are various possibilities for this project, I will be starting
to work on porting Squeak to the Strongtalk VM, and ideally I would like to
find someone who wants to work with me on that.    This will entail diving
deeply into the Squeak and Strongtalk VM interfaces, and figuring out how to
adapt the Squeak image so that it will boot off the Strongtalk VM.  This
ought to be a very interesting tour through the guts of two very interesting
systems.  If the port turns out to be too large a job, there are subtasks
that can be fairly easily defined, such as setting up the Strongtalk system
for re-bootstrapping, which is a necessary step.

Of course, there are other possibilities if that doesn't sound interesting
or if your talents lie in other areas.   For example, there is work in
progress on porting the Strongtalk VM to Linux and MacOS that is a high
priority for the Strongtalk project.

Please contact me if you are registered or if you know someone who might be
interested, at David.takeThisPartOut.Griswold.at.acm.org

- Dave